1. Go for a long walk - If getting back in shape is already on your list of resolutions, then this one might seem a little dull. Whatever your fitness level, a 60 minute walk (three slow miles) will help clear your head, stretch your muscles, and get a good dose of Vitamin D (depending on your weather situation). Too cold to go outside? Do a low-impact indoor workout consisting of some jumping jacks, sit-ups, and yoga stretches.
2. Clean up your computer's desktop - That thing sure does get messy, doesn't it? If you're like me your file saving philosophy is "desktop now, sort later." So take 15 minutes and get your desktop files in shape for the new year!
3. Pick 10 pieces of clothing to donate to charity - Perhaps you received a few new tops and skirts from Santa last week. Make some room in your closet by pulling out 10 infrequently or never worn items and giving them to Goodwill. If parting with clothes gives you anxiety, do the 6 month trick - put them in a bag and hide the bag deep in your closet, then set a timer on your phone for June. If by June you haven't once thought about those items in the bag, get rid of them!
5. Call a long-lost friend - We have all gotten a little lazy about connecting with each other thanks to Facebook and Twitter. Most people have January 1 off work, so today is a good day to reach out to someone and REALLY say "hello!"
6. Throw out all that leftover Christmas candy - December was a glutenous month all around! Holiday treats and cookies everywhere, and more commitments means less time to work out. Your body doesn't need those last few pieces of peppermint bark. Dump it in the trash and immediately take it to the outside bin, lest you be tempted to eat it out of the garbage a few hours later!
However you're spending your January 1 - whether you're working, or in full-blown active resolution mode, or nursing a hangover (been there!) - I hope you take time to reflect on what you accomplished in 2012 and make some goals for 2013, however big or small. You have 365 fresh starts to do something amazing with your year! Tell me your resolutions or goals in the comments. All the best in 2013!
photo credit (1): hdcomputerwallpaper
photo credit (2): sparklerawk via photopin cc
photo credit (3): carbonated via photopin cc